Thursday, April 19, 2007

Conversations

Talked to my Ate Janjan and told her that I already have my flight details for my Hongkong trip.

What about your Montreal application? She asked.

She was referring to the application I submitted for the Video Advocacy Institute in Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. It's a program being run by Witness in association with Concordia University.

"It was forwarded to the screening committee," I said.

"Is Kat part of the Screening Committee?" Ate asked.

"Ambot .(I don't know.) All I know is that she's famous in Canada and she's very productive. I think she's making a documentary film on health, helped other filmmakers across the globe and organized photobloggers for an exhibit.

Kat's one of the directors of a documentary film, Seeing Is Believing. Together with Peter Wintonick they traveled across the globe filming the evolution of handicams, from a simple and cheap alternative for movie entertainment to a tool for human rights activism.

We met Kat and Peter when they filmed Tatay (father) working with various peoples organizations like Nakamata Coalition and the people of Macambol.

Kat's my adviser in the new technology. She's always an email away! If online forums and my Bible can't help me, Kat's always to the rescue. From DV issues, post-prod, Final Cut Pro issues and HDV technology, Kat has the answer (or she always takes time helping me get the right answer.hehehehe)

If Kuya Cito (san na kaya sya?Magbibigay ako ng pabuyang 6-packer San Mig Lights sa makakapagturo ng kinaroroonan ni Kuya Cito. Huli ko syang nakita sa UP Diliman, sa Sonic) showed me how to build an editing equipment based on a Windows system with a minimal cost, Kat showed me "killer filmmakers" equipment and how to get the best out of it.

"She's lucky! She gets to travel, shoot, get support/funding from the government and get an award," said Ate Jan.

Lucky indeed! Unfortunately for us Filipinos, we can travel (at our expense), shoot, don't hope for any support or funding from the government, do not expect that you will win or nominated to the award giving body and still get SHOT or GUNNED DOWN by the people from the government.

But hey...LOOK at US! We're shooting right...and will always shoot videos.

Those were my parting words to Ate Janjan.

No comments: